Volunteers were out in full force to enjoy a late afternoon of learning and applause at The Project's annual CLE and Volunteer Appreciation Awards event, hosted by Jones Walker LLP, on Wednesday, December 4, 2013.
The event started at 4:00 pm with a Professionalism CLE - A Week At The Supreme Court - presented by The Honorable Jefferson D. Hughes, III, Associate Justice, Louisiana Supreme Court. Justice Hughes provided attendees with a complete overview of how The Court works, as well as guidance on professionalism in preparing for an appearance at The Court. He addressed document preparation, behavior while at The Court and other actions that lawyers can take to present their most professional face.
The Professionalism CLE was followed at 5:00 pm by the Volunteer Appreciation Awards and Reception. The Honorable Robin M Giarrusso, Judge, Civil District Court, Orleans Parish presented the awards. Here are the 2013 recipients:
- Pro Bono Law Firm: Entergy Corporation Legal Department
- Pro Bono Corporate Partner: Right Hat, Inc.
- Pro Bono Law School: Loyola University New Orleans College of Law
- Friend of Pro Bono: Teresa Lauga, Adams & Reese LLP, Special Events Manager
- Pro Bono Law Student: John Hays, Tulane University Law School
- Pro Bono Paralegal: Farahana Burke, Gordon Arata et. al. LLC
- Distinguished Donor: Blessey Marine Services, Inc.
- Distinguished Service Awardees:
- Phil Antis, Gordon Arata et. al. LLC
- Cecile L. Gordon, Phelps Dunbar LLC
- Catharine Gracia, Entergy Legal Department
- James C. Rather, Jr., Sutton & Alker LLC
- Amy M. Winters, Jones Walker LLP
- Distinguished Jurist: The Honorable Bernadette D'Souza, Judge, Civil District Court, Orleans Parish
- 100+ Pro Bono Hours Awardees:
- Joanna Broussard, The BizMark Group Inc
- Scott Brown, Entergy Legal Department
- William 'Bill' Cherbonnier, Esq.
- Caroline McSherry Dolan, Baker Donelson
- Mitchell Hasenkampf, Esq.
- Jan M. Hayden, Baker Donelson
- Chris Ralston, Phelps Dunbar LLC
- Wendy Hickok Robinson, Entergy Legal Department
- Mark Surprenant, Adams & Reese LLP
- Sandra Sutak, Krebs Farley & Pelleteri PLLC
The 2013 Pro Bono Leadership Award was presented by Mark Surprenant of Adams & Reese LLP to Catherine 'Katie' Lasky of Jones, Swanson Huddell & Garrison LLC. Mark instituted several years ago this award to honor those who have shown outstanding leadership and commitment to the work of The Pro Bono Project.
In addition to the above award recipients, more than 30 attorneys, paralegals and other professionals were honored for donating 50+ hours in 2013. This year's Honor Roll acknowledges the more than 500 active volunteers who have given of their time and talent to The Project in 2013.
Congratulations to all!! Our sincere thanks for your generous spirit in giving of your time, talent and financial support. Happy Holidays to all!