This week is a time to celebrate the work done by pro bono volunteers across the country.
Although we are always applauding our volunteers, National Pro Bono Week gives us a chance to celebrate our lawyers, paralegals, translators and other legal and lay volunteers who provide their time, talent and funds to power the work of The Project.
See some of the many stories of volunteers on our Facebook page.
This year, we’re kicking off this week with a FREE 1-hour CLE on Thursday, October 26 from 1 pm to 2 pm at the Self-Help Resource Center in the 24th Judicial District Court, 200 Derbigny Street, Gretna – 2nd floor.
The topic is “How To Assist Pro Se Visitors at the 24th JDC Domestic Self-Help Center,” with The Project’s Managing Attorney Kathleen Legendre presenting. Click here to register.
Although National Pro Bono Week ends on Saturday, October 28, we have more in store to continue the celebration – this is, after all, New Orleans, and we love finding ways to celebrate!! So, join us to stock up on CLE hours before the year ends.
All In The Family
Friday, November 3, 10:00 am to noon, registration begins at 9:30 am
This 2-hour CLE course on Family Law matters addresses all your “how to” questions. Our outstanding speakers will cover adoptions, divorces, custody, tutorships and interdictions, and name changes.
- Benjamin W. Janke, JD, Baker, Donelson, Bearman, Caldwell & Berkowitz, PC
- Samantha Weidner, JD, Samantha Weidner Attorney and Counselor at Law, LLC
- Leloashia Taylor, JD, Attorney-at-Law
- Danielle Davenport, JD, Attorney-at-Law.
To register to attend, just click here.
Child in Need of Care
Friday, November 10, 9:00 am to 4:30 pm, registration begins at 8:30 am
Volunteering as an attorney for the Child in Need of Care opportunity is as rewarding as it is challenging. If you are interested in learning how you can be of service to a child in the Louisiana's foster care system, this is the ideal CLE opportunity to do so.
Experienced practitioners will train you on the process from beginning to end. Our specialist panel includes:
- Jesse George, Managing Attorney for The Pro Bono Project
- Beth Salcedo, Home Director of Free Indeed, a home dedicated to the rehabilitation of minor female victims of sex trafficking and sexual exploitation
- Debra Weinberg, an attorney who specializes in special education, with the Advocacy Center.
The day-long CLE is 6-credit hours. There will be a break for lunch. To register, click here.